qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: QAPI Merge Plans

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: QAPI Merge Plans
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 17:44:06 -0600

On 03/08/2011 05:18 PM, Luiz Capitulino wrote:
On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 14:54:53 -0600
Anthony Liguori<address@hidden>  wrote:

Hi,

I've gotten my QAPI branch now functionally complete so I'm ready to
start working on merging.  I thought I'd send a note about my plans as
both a heads up and to see if anyone had any suggestions.

My plan is to split everything up into three rounds.  The first round
will just be core infrastructure--the code generator, the new QMP
server, the signal infrastructure, etc.  This round will introduce a new
command line option to expose the new QMP server (still chardev based).
This means current-to-be-replaced infrastructure is still available?

Yes.

  I'd
like to avoid having two (public) QMPs if possible, even temporary.

It's unavoidable unless we're going to try and review and merge a huge number of patches at once. If we do that, nothing's going to get reviewed properly and I want to avoid another qdev-style merge and then ask for forgiveness afterwards :-)

I'm not hugely opposed to just not merging the -qmp2 flag but I don't really see it as a bad thing. -qmp2 disappears once round two is merged and round 2 should be very easy to merge once round 1 is merged.

The command conversion is extremely straight forward minus some of the qdev error propagation changes.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori