qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] OVMF Google Summer of Code ideas

From: Jordan Justen
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] OVMF Google Summer of Code ideas
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 10:34:25 -0800

2011/3/9 Gleb Natapov <address@hidden>:
> On Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 09:13:38AM -0800, Jordan Justen wrote:
>> Regarding UEFI non-volatile variables on real HW:
>> Most systems today have at least 1MB of flash storage located just
>> below 4GB.  The entire contents can be modified, which is how firmware
>> updates happen.
>>
> How this flash storage is programmed? May be we can emulate something
> similar.

I am familiar with two common flash types used in this area.

The older firmware hub (FWH) devices, which were common around 10
years ago.  These devices would be reasonable to emulate, but for real
devices they topped out at 1MB.

More recently SPI flash devices are used, and the chipset has an SPI
controller to talk to it.  Emulating this like real hardware would be
a bit challenging.  (First you'd need to emulate the chipset SPI
controller, and then you'd need to emulate the SPI device.)

I would like to make a proposal for something more simplistic than
either of these, but which would be much easier to implement and would
better fit the more flexible size of bios.bin in qemu/kvm today.

Is it acceptable to document a proposal for a change to qemu on wiki.qemu.org?

-Jordan