qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] OVMF Google Summer of Code ideas

From: Natalia Portillo
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] OVMF Google Summer of Code ideas
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 23:20:50 +0000

Hi,
El 09/03/2011, a las 18:44, Jordan Justen escribió:

> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 05:43, Natalia Portillo <address@hidden> wrote:
>> This may come late in the discussion, but, has OVMF been tested with Mac OS
>> X?
>
> No.
>
> I don't think Apple considers VMs an acceptable usage environment for
> OS X.  Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Their EULA explicitly says that OS X Server can be run in VMs, as long as the
VM is running on Apple hardware (VMWare Fusion, Parallels Desktop and VMWare
ESXi for Mac are clearly authorized).
For OS X non-server it just says "must run on Apple hardware" nothing specific
as on VM, but none of the previously named took the risk.

VirtualBox is almost able to run OS X now but with some tricks and no
"officially supported" statement.

As currently OS X searches for an encryption key on the hardware, and there has
been code for providing it if being known in QEMU, as long as the requirement
is reading that code on runtime on the real hardware, there should be no legal
problems.
MacOnLinux allowed to virtualize OS X on PowerPC and never received
communications from Apple, even if it allowed to run on non-Apple PowerPC
machines.
PearPC emulated enough of a PowerMac to make OS X run and also never received
communications from Apple.

In any case, IMHO, it's up to the user to respect or violate the EULA, we just
provide the knife, it's not our fault it's used for assassination and not for
cutting food.