qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] RFC: Emulation of PC System Flash V2

From: Jordan Justen
Subject: [Qemu-devel] RFC: Emulation of PC System Flash V2
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 17:51:33 -0700

Thanks to everyone's feedback on my previous proposal (in particular
Jan Kiszka for pointing out hw/pflash_cfi*), I now have a second, much
simpler proposal.

http://wiki.qemu.org/Features/PC_System_Flash

One area where this deviates from some of the previous feedback is in
the command line parameter usage.  (Which is essentially all that is
left in the proposal.)  For simplicity, I chose to retain the existing
command line parameters, except to add as use of -pflash for PC
systems.

Unfortunately, this plan also will not address Carl-Daniel's
suggestion to try to emulate SPI.  SPI would better match current PC
system flash implementations, but it does raise a few tricky
questions.

On the positive side, this plan is much easier to implement, and I
nearly have the patch ready to support it.

Thanks,

-Jordan