qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] QEMU-user mode profiling

From: maheen butt
Subject: [Qemu-devel] QEMU-user mode profiling
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 02:55:00 -0700 (PDT)

hi
I want to profile mips ELF with the help of QEMU so that I can find more time consuming portion of the code. does QEMU user mode emulation provide such feature?
I did a small experiment. I configure QEMU with --enable-gprof and make
afterwards i gave following command
$qemu-mips hw_mips
where hw_mips is mips executable.
a gmon.out file is generated as a result of above command
I considered that it was same file generated by gprof  so I gave this command
$ gprof hw_mips
and got error "gprof: file `gmon.out' has unsupported version 16777216"
is gmon.out generated by qemu not same as gprof's gmon.out?