qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: vcpu hotplug status

From: Gleb Natapov
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: vcpu hotplug status
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 16:28:14 +0200

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 12:25:38PM +0100, William Dauchy wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 11:17 AM, William Dauchy <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I wanted to test vcpu hotplug. When adding a cpu I'm getting
> > "qdev_create_from_info: Assertion `bus->allow_hotplug' failed."
> > I went through a discussion about the subject here
> > http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2010-08/msg00999.html
> > To make sure whether it was working, I hard-coded "allow_hotplug = 1";
> > the guest is now able to have more vpcus without any trouble (removing
> > vcpus did not seem to work though).
> > Since it definitively not a solution, I wanted to have a status about
> > the subject or if I was missing something in my configuration since it
> > works with a dirty workaround.
> > I would be also pleased to get some tips to fix the code.
>
> Any thoughts? Or perhaps my message was lost among patches...

Even patches are lost among patches those days. The problem you describe
is known. Both of them actually (non working vcpu remove is the second
one). I am not aware of any effort to fix them. I am more concern about
second problem though. bus->allow_hotplug is not fixed because of
laziness on developers part, but non working vcpu remove is caused by us not
understanding how cpu hot-plug works in Linux on x86.

--
                        Gleb.