qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Does any version of QEMU support EFI?

From: Jordan Justen
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Does any version of QEMU support EFI?
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 12:50:48 -0700

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 08:36, Bei Guan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Does QEMU have the plan to ship with EFI firmware?

Hi.  I work on the OVMF project which Stefan mentioned.  I definitely
can't speak for the qemu/kvm project, but I'll give my impressions
from my OVMF perspective.

I think qemu/kvm has some interest in supporting UEFI, but they are
(understandably) concerned about losing legacy bios compatibility.
Additionally, they do not want the user to have to choose between a
legacy boot rom and a UEFI boot rom before starting the VM.

> Xen community will probably have a project for GSoC2011 to write an EFI
> firmware for Xen VMs. And the EFI firmware need to be acceptable to QEMU
> code, which is in the Xen source code. This project is "EFI in HVM guests +
> Xen on EFI Hardware" at http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/GSoC_2011_ideas
> So, does QEMU have any design for the EFI firmware? Is there any advice to
> this Xen project?

We would also like to support Xen in our OVMF project. (EFI in HVM
guests)  So, if this project is interested in leveraging our OVMF
project, then we could try to help support this task.

Thanks,

-Jordan