qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu contribution but out the GSoC

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu contribution but out the GSoC
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 09:34:01 +0000

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Corentin Chary
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 9:08 AM, Alexander Graf <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi Devang,
>>
>> On 21.03.2011, at 09:17, Devang S wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> This year i am not eligible to participate in gsoc. But really want to
>> contribute to qemu project.
>>
>> Do i have any chance?
>> Do you mentor projects outside gsoc?
>> Can I somehow contribute to qemu project, out of the gsoc?
>> Can I get mentor outside of the gsoc, like other organizations provide?
>>
>> This mostly depends on two factors:
>> 1) Would you have been accepted as student for gsoc?
>> There's a certain skill level required to participate. If for example I'd
>> have to spend 3 weeks full-time explaining things before you even could get
>> started with real work, unfortunately the trade-off is too bad.
>> 2) Is there anyone willing to mentor the project you're trying to do?
>> Qemu is a very broad project. If you happen to choose a part of it that
>> nobody understands, you might end up not getting anyone willing to mentor
>> you :).
>>
>> Also keep in mind that Qemu is an open source project, so we all mentor each
>> other all the time. That's what this whole patch review thing is about :).
>>
>> Alex
>>

> Hi,
> Also, I'd suggest you to start here:
> http://wiki.qemu.org/Contribute/StartHere .
> You can also pick a GSOC 2010/2011 project, and start working on it
> outside of GSOC context if you want.
> And keep in mind that if you want to write code send patchs for QEMU,
> nobody can stop you :).

Corentin is right - just work on something that interests you and send
patches.  You could start by tackling open bugs at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu.

People have to pull their own weight, there is not a lot of internals
documentation, you need to learn by reading the code.  Official Summer
of Code students will find the same thing is true.

Stefan