qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Moving beyond image files

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Moving beyond image files
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:04:31 -0500

On 03/21/2011 10:16 AM, Alexander Graf wrote:
On 21.03.2011, at 16:05, Anthony Liguori wrote:

5) Copy-on-write references potentially become very interesting for image
streaming because you can avoid any I/O for blocks that are already stored
locally.

This is not fully baked yet but I thought I'd at least throw it out there as a
topic for discussion.  I think we've focused almost entirely on single images
so I think it's worth thinking a little about different storage models.
Wouldn't it make sense to have your file system be that daemon

I see that as purely an implementation detail.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

  and add an interface to it so you can receive the sha1 sums (that you need
for dedup anyways) to calculate rsync style diffs?

That way you'd also speed up 2 other use cases:

   a) normal raw storage - no need to implement new protocols, file formats, etc
   b) real rsync on real data that is not vm images

Alex