qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] checkpatch.pl: warn on C99 comments, but don't fail

From: Michael Roth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] checkpatch.pl: warn on C99 comments, but don't fail
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 11:55:39 -0500

On 04/01/2011 11:16 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
On 1 April 2011 16:59, Stefan Hajnoczi<address@hidden>  wrote:
On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Peter Maydell<address@hidden>  wrote:
On 1 April 2011 16:20, Michael Roth<address@hidden>  wrote:
We also make C99 //comments a warning instead of an error, since they
don't actually violate QEMU's coding guidelines.

We should either update the guidelines or fix the script...

There are a whole bunch of // in the codebase.  I prefer /* */ but as
it stands I think // should not even raise a warning.

I don't care much either, really. I just don't think we should be
introducing random coding standards rules by the back door because
checkpatch happens to complain about them.

Whether or not // comments should also be a warning...I'm not sure. It seems like a reasonable "suggestion" to make though, since mixed comment styles makes code look nastier. I could also go either way though...

But there *are* some warnings that make sense to complain about without saying "you can't do this", like extern's in .c files: some cases are exceptional.

I'd prefer to only document "strict" guidelines, and treat checkpatch.pl warnings ("suggestions") as an extra "reward" you get for taking the time to run it.

-- PMM