qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Questions about chardev (and ps/2 mouse)

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Questions about chardev (and ps/2 mouse)
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 15:29:26 -0500

On 04/05/2011 01:55 PM, Brian Wheeler wrote:
I'm trying to disable the ps/2 mouse in favor of the serial mouse
provided by -chardev msmouse since the ps/2 mouse has had lots of
problems with older OSes (OpenStep, OS/2, Win 3.1, etc).  I've got a
couple of questions:

1) If I change a VMState something by appending a field (i.e.
"unplugged"), do I have to update version_id?

Yes.  You can use a subsection though to avoid bumping the version_id.

   How do the
minimum_version_id{,_old} fields fit in?

This is for load, not save. It's used to basically deprecate loading from very old versions.

2) I've had to hardcode the unplugged value in ps2_mouse_reset since the
call is pretty deep in the call stack, 8042->pckbd->ps2.  Ideally, I'd
like to set (*PS2MouseState)->unplugged from qemu_chr_open_msmouse() so
that if the serial mouse is set up the ps/2 mouse would be disabled.

Wouldn't it be better to just not make the PS2Mouse present in the first place?

3) When I enable the msmouse (via -chardev msmouse,id=mouse) qemu
segfaults.  I've traced it back to the CharDriverSTate for msmouse not
having a valid handler_opaque (it is null).  How would I connect that to
the serial port (any of them, but ideally the 2nd one)

I haven't looked at the chardev but I suspect it's not tested often.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Thanks for any hints!
Brian