qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How does the QEMU load the binary files bios.bin and vg

From: Jordan Justen
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How does the QEMU load the binary files bios.bin and vgabios-cirrus.bin?
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 12:58:05 -0700

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 12:24, Olivier Galibert <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 07, 2011 at 12:03:41PM -0700, Jordan Justen wrote:
>> But, Anthony's point ('there's never really been a pressing need to
>> support SMM') is probably the most important here, as I can't see a
>> compelling use for SMM in QEMU.
>
> Running real biosen instead of seabios?  Of course that's mostly
> useful when reverse-engineering devices, which is a borderline use of
> kvm.

:)

Regarding QEMU, the only thing I can thing of (and this is a stretch)
is USB legacy support.  In other words, being able to drop PS2
keyboard/mouse for USB, but still supporting legacy software via SMM.
This doesn't seem worth the effort by a long shot.

Another take on removing PS2 sounds more interesting to me: a
legacy-free PC qemu hardware skew, with a legacy-free firmware (OVMF
:) and only supporting legacy-free compatible OS's.

-Jordan