qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] adding search to dhcp

From: Carl Karsten
Subject: [Qemu-devel] adding search to dhcp
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 12:40:26 -0500

man qemu...
hostname=name   Specifies the client hostname reported by the builtin
DHCP server.

I would like to add a technically similar option: search
It would be sent along the same path that the above hostname parameter takes.

This would allow the guest OS to reference other boxes on my LAN by
just hostname, not FQDN. I have many scripts that rely on this, and so
they break when I try to run them in a qemu vm.

man dhcp-options
       option domain-search domain-list;

         The domain-search option specifies a 'search list' of Domain Names to
         be used by the client to  locate  not-fully-qualified  domain  names.
         The  difference  between  this option and historic use of the domain-
         name option for the same ends is  that  this  option  is  encoded  in
         RFC1035 compressed labels on the wire.  For example:

           option domain-search "example.com", "sales.example.com",
                                "eng.example.com";

I would expect the syntax to look like this:

qemu -hda 1.qcow2 -net nick -net
user,hostname=qemu,search=example.com,sales.example.com

--
Carl K