qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Why is qdev vga-isa no_user?

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Why is qdev vga-isa no_user?
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 10:03:02 +0200

Blue Swirl <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Blue, you did the conversion (commit 7435b791), care to explain?
>
> Because I/O ports of VGA are fixed, so there can be only zero (which
> is handled by -vga none) or one devices.

Reason I'm asking: the other VGA devices can be configured with "-device
NAME", like any other user-configurable device.  I want that for
isa-vga, too.

Of any device with fixed resources, there can be at most one.  If you
configure more than one, you get an error.  Same as for inter-device
resource clashes.  Our reporting of resource clashes isn't exactly user
friendly, and should be improved.

no_user is strictly for devices that aren't user-configurable at all.

I'll post a patch to bring isa-vga in line with the other VGA devices.