qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Memory API

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Memory API
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 16:07:05 +0300

On 2011-05-19 15:00, Avi Kivity wrote:
>  On 05/19/2011 03:58 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>>>
>>>   Eventually we may make the memory API a sub-API of qdev.  I don't want
>>>   to start with that however, the change is large enough already.
>>
>>  Touching all devices again at that point to change the way they register
>>  regions may not be the best approach. I would try to consolidate the
>>  refactoring work that affects the majority of device models.
>
>  The risk is that the entire work will be stalled if it requires too much
>  effort.

Then we could still switch one gear down, converting at least some
exemplary devices completely to demonstrate that the API changes fit
into the big picture.

My plan is:

- post RFC v1 with updated API in patch form
- RFC v2 with implementation + significant fraction of PC devices coverted
- PATCH v3 with full conversion an elimination of the old API