qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v1] Add declarations for hierarchical memory regio

From: Jan Kiszka
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v1] Add declarations for hierarchical memory region API
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 21:27:55 +0200

On 2011-05-19 16:12, Avi Kivity wrote:
> +/* Sets an offset to be added to MemoryRegionOps callbacks. */
> +void memory_region_set_offset(MemoryRegion *mr, target_phys_addr_t offset);

Please mark this as a legacy helper, ideally to be removed after the
complete conversion to this API. During that phase we should try to
identify those devices which still depend on offset=0 and maybe directly
fix them.

> +/* Turn loggging on or off for specified client (display, migration) */
> +void memory_region_set_log(MemoryRegion *mr, bool log, unsigned client);
> +/* Enable memory coalescing for the region.  MMIO ->write callbacks may be
> + * delayed until a non-coalesced MMIO is issued.
> + */
> +void memory_region_set_coalescing(MemoryRegion *mr);
> +/* Enable memory coalescing for a sub-range of the region.  MMIO ->write
> + * callbacks may be delayed until a non-coalesced MMIO is issued.
> + */
> +void memory_region_add_coalescing(MemoryRegion *mr,
> +                                  target_phys_addr_t offset,
> +                                  target_phys_addr_t size);

Will this be such a common use case that requesting the user to split up
the region and then use set_coalescing will generate too much boiler
plate code?

> +/* Disable MMIO coalescing for the region. */
> +void memory_region_clear_coalescing(MemoryRegion *mr);

And what about clearing coalescing for sub-ranges? Maybe skip
add_coalescing for the first run and see how far we get.

Jan