qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Memory API

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Memory API
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 10:37:48 +0300

On 05/20/2011 02:57 PM, Gleb Natapov wrote:
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 11:59:58AM +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
>  On 05/19/2011 07:27 PM, Gleb Natapov wrote:
>  >>   Think of how a window manager folds windows with priorities onto a
>  >>   flat framebuffer.
>  >>
>  >>   You do a depth-first walk of the tree.  For each child list, you
>  >>   iterate it from the lowest to highest priority, allowing later
>  >>   subregions override earlier subregions.
>  >>
>  >I do not think that window manager is a good analogy. Window can
>  >overlap with only its siblings. In our memory tree each final node may
>  >overlap with any other node in the tree.
>  >

>  Transparent windows.

No, still not that. Think about child windows that resides outside of its
parent windows on screen. In our memory region terms think about PCI BAR
is registered to overlap with RAM at address 0x1000 for instance. PCI
BAR memory region and RAM memory region are on very different branches
of the global tree.

Right.  But what's the problem with that?

Which one takes precedence is determined by the priorities of the RAM subregion vs. the PCI bus subregion.

signature is too narrow to contain.