qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Virtio net bringup for new arch?

From: Greg McGary
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Virtio net bringup for new arch?
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 12:00:29 -0700

I have a new architecture port that can boot linux and work interactively with
a UART.
The next step to facilitate application development is to have NFS filesystems.
 The
real HW has no bus--it will have some sort of shared-memory, SW-arbitrated
access to a
control processor's devices.  For development on QEMU, I'm guessing the easiest
way to
fake a network is to use virtio-net, since linux kernel and QEMU both support
it.
Perhaps when it comes time to implement the network link to the
control-processor,
virtio-net will be the best choice there as well.

Now, I need to know how to glue it all together.  Questions:

* the Syborg virtual board seemed like a good & simple reference; but
unfortunately,
  I can't find a full set of system and userspace software to get it running.
Any
  leads here?

* Even though there is no bus, does it make sense to pretend there is a PCI bus?
  I had the idea that this might be the quickest bringup, since it would require
  minimal porting on the kernel side: QEMU populates the PCI config space with
the
  virtio-net device and Linux auto-detects at boot.  If it's equivalent effort
  configure and connect the virtio-net device directly, I'd rather not pretend
PCI.

All ideas, leads and advice gratefully accepted.