qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] reduce reported VGA framebuffer to 8 MiB

From: Alon Levy
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] reduce reported VGA framebuffer to 8 MiB
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 10:11:26 +0300

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 08:50:01AM +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> On 05/25/11 16:33, Alon Levy wrote:
> >>
> >>Hmm?  Never seen this.  Details please.
> >
> >When I start a windows xp guest with -vga qxl and no qxl driver installed I
> >get
> >a 16 color (4 bits) display mode, you notice it straight away because it's
> >just ugly.
>
> Which qemu version?  Which seabios & vgabios version?

qemu is the spice v36 branch with some unrelated patches.
seabios + vgabios upstream (seabios with 0x9000000 size hack).

I can retest with qemu upstream.

> Windows xp booting in 4bit usually indicates VBE doesn't work at
> all, trying to enable vesafb in linux fails too then.

VBE is working fine - attached are the VBE calls made in three cases:
 * -vga std
 * -vga qxl with the normal 64 MB framebuffer.
 * -vga qxl with 8 MB framebuffer (reported) (it's identical to the first)

Note that this is all without the qxl driver working, but just with a windows
xp install
with no qxl drivers.

> I havn't seen this for a *long* time.  Last time was a year or so
> back, while shaking out vgabios issues.  Especially I've never seen
> that with any qxl/spice stuff in upstream qemu.  Thats why I'm
> wondering where this comes from?

I know yonit saw it too, I think she is using different versions of the above.
I don't know what changed.