qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Multi heterogenous CPU archs for SoC sim?

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Multi heterogenous CPU archs for SoC sim?
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 22:10:01 +0200

Am 25.05.2011 um 20:44 schrieb Greg McGary:

I would like to create a QEMU model of an SoC that has several CPU cores having different architectures. I'm guessing this can be done.

In theory, many things are possible. In practice, it's a matter of manhours you're willing to invest. Without further details on your SoC it's hard to provide a useful answer.

An SoC with mixed ARM Cortex-M4 and Cortex-M0, for instance, may be much easier to accomplish than mixing architectures with differing endianness and especially bitness. That will likely involve compiling for ceil(bitness) - since I don't see how linking hw/*.o compiled for diffent bit-widths would work - and making sure any lower-bitness architectures continue to work, while probably dropping in overall performance...

Andreas