qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Webcams under KVM and Linux

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Webcams under KVM and Linux
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 12:38:35 +0200

  Hi,

I was told I could try to add a complete host controller to the guest,
but am not entirely sure I understand what that means? Looking for
specifics? Is there a suggestion for doing this during install of the
KVM guest, or can this be done while the guest is running, or otherwise?

Independent of the ongoing EHCI work, I remember a patch specifically
for webcams a while ago, try searching the archives for V4L.

Latest master (aka upcoming 0.15) has a bunch of iso xfer fixes merged and using usb 1.1 webcams with usb-host should work reasonable well.

Using usb 2.0 cams with usb-host obviously depend on upcoming EHCI for usb 2.0 support. There are also some glitches not tracked down yet. The usb 2.0 cam in built into my Lenovo T500 starts streaming but stops quickly (after 1-2 frames) for not-yet known reasons.

I think people are also working on camera emulation, i.e. pass any (even non-usb) v4l devices as usb webcam to the guest. No idea what the status here is.

cheers,
  Gerd