qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] virtio scsi host draft specification, v2

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] virtio scsi host draft specification, v2
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 16:46:52 +0300

On 05/20/2011 11:21 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
Hi all,

here is the second version of the spec. In the end I took the advice of merging all requestq's into one. The reason for this is that I took a look at the vSCSI device and liked its approach of using SAM 8-byte LUNs directly. While it _is_ complex (and not yet done right by QEMU---will send a patch for that), the scheme is actually quite natural to implement and use, and supporting generic bus/target/LUN topologies is good to have for passthrough, as well.

I also added a few more features from SAM to avoid redefining the structs in the future.

Of course it may be that I'm completely wrong. :) Please comment on the spec!

Virtqueues
     0:control transmitq
     1:control receiveq
     2:requestq

Shouldn't we plan multiqueue for this from day 1?

Requests have the following format:

     struct virtio_scsi_req_cmd {
         u8 lun[8];
         u64 id;