qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QMP: RFC: I/O error info & query-stop-reason

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QMP: RFC: I/O error info & query-stop-reason
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 09:02:30 -0500

On 06/02/2011 08:24 AM, Jiri Denemark wrote:
On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 08:08:35 -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
B. query-stop-reason
--------------------

I also have a simple solution for item 2. The vm_stop() accepts a reason
argument, so we could store it somewhere and return it as a string, like:

->    { "execute": "query-stop-reason" }
<- { "return": { "reason": "user" } }

Valid reasons could be: "user", "debug", "shutdown", "diskfull" (hey,
this should be "ioerror", no?), "watchdog", "panic", "savevm", "loadvm",
"migrate".

Also note that we have a STOP event. It should be extended with the
stop reason too, for completeness.

Can we just extend query-block?

Primarily we want 'query-stop-reason' to tell us what caused the VM
CPUs to stop. If that reason was 'ioerror', then 'query-block' could
be used to find out which particular block device(s) caused the IO
error to occurr&   get the "reason" that was in the BLOCK_IO_ERROR
event.

My concern is that we're over abstracting here.  We're not going to add
additional stop reasons in the future.

Maybe just add an 'io-error': True to query-state.

Sure, adding a new field to query-state response would work as well. And it
seems like a good idea to me since one already needs to call query-status to
check if CPUs are stopped or not so it makes sense to incorporate the
additional information there as well. And if you want to be safe for the
future, the new field doesn't have to be boolean 'io-error' but it can be the
string 'reason' which Luiz suggested above.

String enumerations are a Bad Thing. It's impossible to figure out what strings are valid and it lacks type safety.

Adding more booleans provides better type safety, and when we move to QAPI with a queryable schema, provides a way to figure out exactly what combinations are supported by QEMU.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Jirka