qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] user-mode networking not allowing internet traffic

From: Amitava Shee
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] user-mode networking not allowing internet traffic
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 23:15:02 -0400

> User mode network (SLIRP) only supports plain TCP and UDP, traceroute and ping (which need ICMP) do not work.

Indeed - wget google.com works just fine!

Chris, your link to the documentation is helpful. Here's my modified command

address@hidden:~/qemu$ kvm -name cold -m 512 -drive file=$PWD/cold.qcow2,if=virtio,boot=on -vnc :0 -netdev type=user,id=mynet0 -device e1000,netdev=mynet0

For folks who might be looking for tap/tun approach (to allow ssh'ing to the guest) -

address@hidden:~/qemu$ sudo kvm -name cold -m 512 -drive file=$PWD/cold.qcow2,if=virtio,boot=on -vnc :0 -netdev type=tap,id=netdev0 -device virtio-net-pci,netdev=netdev0

Thank you Chris and Blue for your help.

-Amitava