qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] struct TimerState

From: Nilay Vaish
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] struct TimerState
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 11:50:02 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011, Llu??s wrote:

Nilay Vaish writes:

Let me ask a more pointed question. Is there a way to know how many
cycles the virtual machine has been running for? A comment that
appears before the defintion of the TimerState structure -- guest
cycle counter.

AFAIR, the TimerState captures the amount of host nsec/cycles that the
VM has been stopped for since the last VM stop/start pair.

As per Lluis' reply, this structure is keeping track of the time when
the VM started. Can you determine this from the variables that are
part of this structure?

Determine what? The amount of host nsec/cycles or the amount of guest
nsec/cycles?

The former cannot be directly obtained unless you aggregate the
intermediate values in TimerState (although you're already able to get
that information from the OS). The latter depends under which
configuration you're executing (i.e., use_icount).

I would like to determine the later. icount will give the instruction count. I need the instruction count as well, but is there some way to determine the guest cycles as well?

--
Nilay