qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Benchmarking activities

From: Ben Vogler
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Benchmarking activities
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 09:02:57 +1000

Hi QEMU devel team,

I work for Toyota Technical Centre Australia in the software department. We are currently conducting benchmarking on a broad spectrum of virtual platform simulators. I was wondering if I could ask you guys a few question about QEMU, however I understand if it is too much to ask. Below is a list of questions I have:

-          I have seen examples of QEMU processor cores being wrapped in SystemC and used in OSCI based virtual systems – is this the general approach, or is there other/better ways of going about using QEMU not as an emulator (such as VMware), but as a simulator?

-          Is there full backwards compatibility between versions of QEMU?

-          I have been looking but could not find a complete list of processor core models supported by QEMU. I have seen there are processors from Sparc, ARM, MIPS, but are there any core models from NEC, or Renesas in particular? Would you please be able to point me in the right direction?

The rest of my questions are based on the assumption that QEMU IP will be used in a virtual system simulation, rather than emulation.

-          Is co-simulation possible? For example, connecting an engine model running in Dymola to the QEMU (processor model) based virtual system simulator.

-           Are there any inbuilt data tracing features? For example, hardware signal tracing, register monitoring etc.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

TOYOTA TECHNICAL CENTER AUSTRALIA
Ben Vogler            ベン・ヴォグラ
Software Engineer
Software Development Group
611-633 Blackburn Road
Notting Hill, VIC 3168
Email:
address@hidden

Phone:  +61 3 9501 5226

Confidential - do not forward this email.

P  Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail