qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Image streaming and live block copy

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Image streaming and live block copy
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 09:48:59 +0200

Am 26.06.2011 14:50, schrieb Dor Laor:
> On 06/24/2011 12:28 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:

>>> There is an easier work around for image streaming using live block copy
>>> (mirror approach):
>>>   - Create the dst VM as an empty new COW image of the src (even over
>>>     the non shared storage, use some protocol tag for the src location
>>>     like nbd://original_path/src_file_name)
>>
>> Migration and non-shared storage has come up a few times in this
>> discussion.  But both live block copy and image streaming need access
>> to source and destination - they do not have explicit non-shared
>> storage support.  I think non-shared and using nbd:// is orthogonal to
>> the discussion.  Just want to check that you agree and I haven't
>> missed something?
>
> You're right, I was mainly trying to be as general as possible.

I think there is one important point to consider for using NBD: You
always see a single image on the NBD client, which could in fact have a
backing file chain on the source. So bdrv_is_allocated() doesn't work
over NBD, which becomes interesting when you want to share a backing
file with the new copy.

Kevin