qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Query on the License of qemu

From: 박재민
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Query on the License of qemu
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 10:49:03 +0900

Dear All,
This is Jaemin Park, who delves into qemu.

I have 2 questions about the license of qemu.

1. Does it has any GPL issues to deploy a virtual machine, which runs a proprietary operating system, on qemu?
  Qemu has GPL. A guest which runs on Qemu, has non-GPL. Is it OK to release them together? We are going, of course, to open all of source codes related to qemu, except the guest operating system.

2. Does it has any GPL issues to add virtual devices to qemu and add device drivers to the guest proprietary operating system?
  We are going to add some peripheral devices to the qemu board. To work with those devices, we are going to add device drivers to the proprietary operating system. There are no linkage on source level between qemu and the guest operating system. They communicates by handling interrupts and memory map. We, however, are concerned about the interpretation of the GPL. If we are obliged to open some of guest source codes, how can we interprete the open range of the GPL?

Sincerely yours,
Jaemin Park.

--
Jaemin Park