qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] virtio scsi host draft specification, v3

From: Hannes Reinecke
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] virtio scsi host draft specification, v3
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 12:23:38 +0200

On 06/29/2011 12:07 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:39:42AM +0100, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
I think we're missing a level of addressing.  We need the ability to
talk to multiple target ports in order for "list target ports" to make
sense.  Right now there is one implicit target that handles all
commands.  That means there is one fixed I_T Nexus.

If we introduce "list target ports" we also need a way to say "This
CDB is destined for target port #0".  Then it is possible to enumerate
target ports and address targets independently of the LUN field in the
CDB.

I'm pretty sure this is also how SAS and other transports work.  In
their framing they include the target port.

Yes, exactly.  Hierachial LUNs are a nasty fringe feature that we should
avoid as much as possible, that is for everything but IBM vSCSI which is
braindead enough to force them.

Yep.

The question is whether we really need to support multiple targets on
a virtio-scsi adapter or not.  If you are selectively mapping LUNs
that the guest may access, then multiple targets are not necessary.
If we want to do pass-through of the entire SCSI bus then we need
multiple targets but I'm not sure if there are other challenges like
dependencies on the transport (Fibre Channel, SAS, etc) which make it
impossible to pass through bus-level access?

I don't think bus-level pass through is either easily possible nor
desirable.  What multiple targets are useful for is allowing more
virtual disks than we have virtual PCI slots.  We could do this by
supporting multiple LUNs, but given that many SCSI ressources are
target-based doing multiple targets most likely is the more scabale
and more logical variant.  E.g. we could much more easily have one
virtqueue per target than per LUN.

The general idea here is that we can support NPIV.
With NPIV we'll have several scsi_hosts, each of which is assigned a different set of LUNs by the array. With virtio we need to able to react on LUN remapping on the array side, ie we need to be able to issue a 'REPORT LUNS' command and add/remove LUNs on the fly. This means we have to expose the scsi_host in some way via virtio.

This is impossible with a one-to-one mapping between targets and LUNs. The actual bus-level pass-through will be just on the SCSI layer, ie 'REPORT LUNS' should be possible. If and how we do a LUN remapping internally on the host is a totally different matter. Same goes for the transport details; I doubt we will expose all the dingy details of the various transports, but rather restrict ourselves to an abstract transport.

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                   zSeries & Storage
address@hidden                        +49 911 74053 688