qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Default cache mode

From: Christoph Hellwig
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Default cache mode
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 15:55:45 +0200

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 07:08:18AM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> As long as we advertise wce and wce can be toggled from the guest, I don't
> think the default is all that important.  I think cache=on is the right
> default for most common use cases.

What do you mean with cache=on?  We have
cache=[none,writeback,writethrough,unsafe].  As discussed about a dozen
times before these are an incomplete choice of the [odirect=on,off;
osync=on,off, ignore cache flushes=on,off] matrix.

Not using O_DIRECT when it is available is almost always the wrong choice.
It means an additional data copy, VM pressure and exercise of often suck
fsync/O_SYNC codepatheses, with only a benefit if you have multiple VMs
actually using the same dataset with the same COW backing image.

Using WCE = 0 or 1 is a tradeoff of safety vs performance.  WCE=0 performance
generally sucks badly, but offers data integrity for older or non-PCish host
operating systems.