qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] device assignment for embedded Power

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] device assignment for embedded Power
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 00:50:13 +0100

> On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 21:59 +0100, Paul Brook wrote:

> > > That's not going to happen.
> >
> > Why is your device so unique? How does it interact with the guest system
> > and what features does it require that doen't exist in any device that
> > can be emulated?
>
> Do you guys only support PCI pass-through by doing full emulation of the
> all possible supported PCI devices first ? :-)

Absolutely not.  My point is that dynamic (user-driven) device creation is
effectively a prerequisite for a passthrough device.

If you just want to make a very specific use-case then this doesn't need any
code in qemu at all.  We just make the user provide the device tree
themselves. If it doesn't match then they loose.  If you do choose an ugly
qemu then the changes are it'll be changed/removed once we do dyamic device
creation properly.  There have already been discussions about dynamic device
creation, so this this isn't completely hypothetical.

If you integrate it properly, then you need to realise then there's a fair
chunk of infrastructure and user interface required.  Most of which has
nothing to do with device passthrough.  Trying to implement both at the same
time is just going to cause confusion and complicate things.  It's already a
hard problem, combining it with something else is just going to cause you and
everyone else even more pain.

Paul