qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Benchmarking activities

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Benchmarking activities
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 09:32:37 +0100

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 8:32 PM, Blue Swirl <address@hidden> wrote:
> 2011/6/27 Ben Vogler <address@hidden>:
>> -           Are there any inbuilt data tracing features? For example,
>> hardware signal tracing, register monitoring etc.
>
> Tracing is quite new addition, so far it's only used for development
> or debugging QEMU point of view I think.

I think you are referring to hardware model debugging and logging.
The QEMU "tracing" mechanism that Blue Swirl mentioned is a
DTrace/SystemTap style tool for observing QEMU internals and not what
you are looking for.

QEMU is not cycle-accurate and typically only presents the
register-level hardware interfaces to the VM.  We don't necessarily
model hardware state and connections.  However, the QEMU User Forum
link that Blue Swirl posted includes information from people who are
using QEMU for similar purposes as you.

Stefan