qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] migration: new sections and backward compatibility.

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] migration: new sections and backward compatibility.
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 17:31:27 +0200

On 07/11/2011 05:32 PM, Kevin Wolf wrote:
 I'd guess the best would be to have a special VMSTATE that means
 "broken old version doesn't send a section" which we can set for
 special -M?

 No, the best would be to have a serious migration format, based for
 example on ASN.1 which Michael Tsirkin was playing with.  We cannot keep
 bolting more and more stuff on top of the current protocol, especially
 since adding a new protocol is not that hard (old machine types can keep
 the old protocol).

And even more so with the old format being ambiguous. We haven't decided
yet what to do with subsections of structs, have we?

I hope to test this week the prototype I sent.

Paolo