qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [QAPI+QGA 3/3] QEMU Guest Agent (virtagent) v6

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [QAPI+QGA 3/3] QEMU Guest Agent (virtagent) v6
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 14:14:58 +0100

On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 08:21:36AM -0500, Michael Roth wrote:
> BUILD/USAGE
>
> build:
>   ./configure --target-list=x86_64-softmmu
>   make
>   make qemu-ga #should be built on|for target guest
>
> start guest:
>   qemu \
>   -drive file=/home/mdroth/vm/rhel6_64_base.raw,snapshot=off,if=virtio \
>   -net nic,model=virtio,macaddr=52:54:00:12:34:00 \
>   -net tap,script=/etc/qemu-ifup \
>   -vnc :1 -m 1024 --enable-kvm \
>   -chardev socket,path=/tmp/qga.sock,server,nowait,id=qga \
>   -device virtio-serial \
>   -device virtserialport,chardev=qga,name=qga"
>
> use guest agent:
>   ./qemu-ga -h
>   ./qemu-ga -c virtio-serial -p /dev/virtio-ports/qga

Have we documented any naming convention for virtio serial ports yet ?
For both Matahari, and libguestfs we've followed the reverse domain
name style naming adopted by things like DBus and AMQP, or language
package namespaces. eg

  org.libguestfs.channel.0
  org.apache.qpid.matahari.0

The '.0' is just in case we find we need to add further channels
for each agent later with different usage.

I think this would be a good general naming convention to recommend
to app developers in order to avoid naming clashes, and thus think
that the QEMU guest agent should use a channel name prefixed with
'org.qemu.' eg perhaps

   -device virtserialport,chardev=qga,name=org.qemu.guestagent.0"

   ./qemu-ga -c virtio-serial -p /dev/virtio-ports/org.qemu.guestagent.0

Regards,
Daniel