qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu FreeBSD/sparc64 host - a bit of debugging

From: Super Bisquit
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu FreeBSD/sparc64 host - a bit of debugging
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 22:58:58 -0400

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Juergen Lock <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi!

 I'm the FreeBSD qemu port maintainer and don't have a sparc64 box
myself, but Jashank Jeremy (Cc'd) now was so kind to test qemu 0.14.1
on a FreeBSD/sparc64 box booting a FreeBSD 8/i386 install iso using
i386-softmmu

What's the difference- an honest question- between this and a normal qemu boot?
and we found two things:

1. The hang people have been reporting seems to be caused by this tb:

       IN:
       0x000e7a31:  in     $0xb3,%al
       0x000e7a33:  test   %al,%al
       0x000e7a35:  jne    0xe7a31

  i.e. it (the qemu bios I suppose) is waiting for x86 ioport 0xb3
  to become zero.  This port is #defined in hw/apm.c as:

       qemu-0.14.1/hw/apm.c:#define APM_STS_IOPORT  0xb3

  but the definition seems to be used nowhere in that source file.
  Anyone have an idea why this port is never zero on sparc64 hosts
  but seems to be on others?  (endian issue?  uninitialized variable?)
Have you asked Whitehorn what it my be?

2. Booting the same guest with -no-acpi gets further, bios and
  bootloader messages are printed until it hangs again, this
  time while handling a guest irq 8 which seems to be rtc.

Is there a way of disabling the clock? If not, then would it be useful to set the emulated cpu speed?

 Maybe this is useful to some... :)

Actually, it's quite useful to me.

 Thanx,
       Juergen