qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v4 00/58] Memory API

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v4 00/58] Memory API
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 16:27:38 +0300

On 07/19/2011 04:09 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
On 07/17/2011 06:13 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
New in this version:
   MemoryRegionOps gained .old_mmio and .old_portio members, which allow
reusing old-style callbacks with the new API. All uses were converted,
   except for eepro100.c, which uses the same MemoryRegionOps for both
   portio and mmio.  Some intermediate patches do introduce dispatching
   callbacks, but they are removed later.

Caveats:
- some devices still grab a global memory region instead of inheriting
   it from their bus.  Seen in the code as #include "exec-memory.h"

Could you write up a quick document on how to use this new api for docs/?

Sure.  It's pretty simple.

There's bits I don't like about the interface

Which bits are these?

but I think it's a huge improvement over what we have now so I'm inclined to commit once it includes documentation.

My problem is that to start leveraging it, everything must flow through it. There are still several hundred call sites that are unconverted.

One option is to invert the relationship between ram_addr_t and MemoryRegion - implement the former in terms of the latter. That only works for uses which don't invoke IO_MEM_UNASSIGNED or address arithmetic.