qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] live snapshot wiki updated

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] live snapshot wiki updated
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 11:18:46 +0100

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 11:50:53AM +0200, Kevin Wolf wrote:
> Am 19.07.2011 18:46, schrieb Daniel P. Berrange:

> >> It should be a goal to avoid dependencies in multiple layers of the
> >> stack because it becomes are to add new features - they require
> >> coordinated changes in multiple layers.  Having both QEMU and libvirt
> >> know the internals of image files is such a multi-dependency.  If I
> >> want to add a new format or change an existing format I have to touch
> >> both layers.
> >>
> >> For fd-passing perhaps we have an opportunity to use a callback
> >> mechanism (QEMU request: filename -> libvirt response: fd) and do all
> >> the image format parsing in QEMU.
> >
> > The reason why libvirt does the parsing of file headers to determine
> > backing files is to maintain the trust boundary. Everything run from
> > the exec() of QEMU onwards is considered untrusted code. So having
> > QEMU parsing the file headers & passing back open() requests to libvirt
> > is breaking the trust boundary.
> >
> > NB, i'm not happy about libvirt having to have knowledge of file format
> > headers, but we needed something more efficient & reliable than invoking
> > qemu-img info & parsing the output.
>
> What's the real problem with this approach? Parsing the data meant for
> humans, from an interface that is potentially unstable? If this is it,
> it should be easy enough to add a JSON output mode to qemu-img info.

It is a really heavyweight solution to have to spawn qemu-img every
time we need to access this data, when it can be done with a trivial
open+read+close sequence. In addition the output data format is not
entirely pleasant for machine reading (some fields only have data
rounded up to MB, not the raw byte count). Finally, we also wanted
to be able to extract some basic metdata about disk image formats on
non-QEMU hosts, for our storage management APIs which are used on Xen
or VMWare hosts where many of these same disk image formats are also
used. A JSON output mode would be helpful, but unfortunately can't
really address the other issues.

> > Ideally QEMU (or something else)
> > would provide a library libblockformat.so with stable APIs for at least
> > reading metadata about image formats. If it had APIs for image creation,
> > etc too that would be a bonus, but we're more or less ok spawning qemu-img
> > for those cases currently.
>
> I'm afraid the block drivers have too many dependencies on the qemu core
> for this to be an option without investing a lot of effort.

That's why I sort of think there is value in having someone provide a
standalone  library API for querying some core set of block format
metadata. QEMU is but one project with virtual disk formats, there are
plenty of others out there in existance, so while reusing QEMU block
code would be nice, it isn't leading to any significant reduction in
copies of block format parsing code amongst all the virt projects in
existance.

Regards,
Daniel