qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] QEMU Object Model

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] QEMU Object Model
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 09:46:17 +0200

Am 21.07.2011 18:32, schrieb Anthony Liguori:
> Just as we're now realizing that we need to do dramatic things in the
> block layer to make -blockdev work, I'm sure we're going to realize that
> we want to do PCI hotplug of virtio-serial and therefore we need to do
> dynamic creation/destruction of character devices.

Just to have it said: -blockdev isn't the reason for doing something
like this. The reason is that you want it. (Not saying anything about
whether it is a good or a bad thing to want)

What -blockdev really needs is an additional parameter to bdrv_open that
carries the options. Could be as simple as a QDict, though that might
not align well with your QAPI which wants everything to be C. But in any
case, generalising the qdev properties mechanism to be usable in other
contexts should be enough for anything.

There's really no pressing need to start yet another rewrite of half of
qemu just for -blockdev. And in turn -blockdev doesn't have to wait for
such a rewrite.

Kevin