qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Possible corruption on qcow2_snapshot_goto

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Possible corruption on qcow2_snapshot_goto
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 09:49:25 +0200

Am 05.08.2011 09:34, schrieb Frediano Ziglio:
> This function seems to be not that safe.
>
> The first problem is that the first thing it does if free refcount
> calling qcow2_update_snapshot_refcount(bs, s->l1_table_offset,
> s->l1_size, -1). Now if something goes wrong (crash, disk errors) this
> could lead to refcount == 0 (depending on L1 size, cache, open flags).
>
> If table grow and qcow2_grow_l1_table needs to resize on disk it
> probably will found some reference counter set to 0 (cause we already
> decremented it), fail than qcow2_snapshot_goto return -EIO leaving
> refcounts deallocated.

I can't say I'm surprised.

This kind of problem used to be common all over the place in qcow2. I
fixed it for most paths, but internal snapshots aren't considered
supported for RHEL, so I never got around to fixing the snapshot code.

So, yes, the order must be changed, so that in the worst case we have
cluster leaks.

Kevin