qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] a newbie question: code patches

From: cheetah
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] a newbie question: code patches
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 02:04:27 -0700

Thanks for the quickly reply.

I am going to change/add the block driver and some image format code. If I develop against the qemu.git, can I easily generate a patch to apply to qemu-kvm.git too? Do you have some "best practices" to recommend? ;) Thanks!

Regards,
Peter

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 2:00 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 9:56 AM, cheetah <address@hidden> wrote:
> I need to do some changes to qemu-kvm. However, on the kvm website, it is
> suggested to develop against qemu.git. I am wondering if I develop against
> qemu.git, because my fix may depend on some new patch that is only in
> qemu.git, it seems very hard to generate a patch for the qemu-kvm. But my
> goal is to generate a patch to qemu-kvm while contribute the patch to qemu.
> Could you give me some advice? Should I develop again qemu.git or
> qemu-kvm.git? How to manage the patch generating process less painful?

It depends what code you are changing.  If you are changing anything
non-KVM or PCI-passthrough specific, then the number of conflicts when
applying your patches against qemu-kvm.git will be low (or zero).

Which areas of the code are you going to touch?

Stefan