qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] a newbie question: code patches

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] a newbie question: code patches
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 10:33:59 +0100

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 10:19 AM, cheetah <address@hidden> wrote:
> Sounds great. Thanks.
> I am a newbie and still confusing on how to do it. Please excuse my
> ignorance.
> If I forked a my own branch on qemu.git and develop against it.
> For instance I change qcow2.c which depends on some functions in block.c
> which are different from qemu-kvm.git because qemu-kvm.git has an old
> version of block.c
> In this case I need to generate a patch for both qcow2.c and block.c by diff
> with the qemu-kvm.git's version. This is done manually. And if more files
> are involved, it becomes really painful.
> Is there any better way to generate a patch for qemu-kvm.git easily?

The block layer is the same in qemu-kvm.git.  The will be zero or very
few conflicts, so developing against qemu.git is the right thing.  For
performance testing you may wish to git format-patch and apply those
patches to a qemu-kvm.git tree.

Please share what you plan to work on with the community.  This can
save you a lot of time and avoid duplicating work.  Before you post,
check out the "block layer roadmap thread" which lists many of the
proposed changes that have been discussed:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2011-07/msg03162.html

If you send an email explaining what you'd like to change you'll get
advice on how to get started.

Stefan