qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Safely reopening image files by stashing fds

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Safely reopening image files by stashing fds
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 17:16:53 +0200

Am 08.08.2011 16:49, schrieb Stefan Hajnoczi:
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Kevin Wolf <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Can you show how bdrv_reopen() would use these new interfaces?  I'm
>>> not 100% clear on the idea.
>>
>> Well, you wouldn't only call bdrv_reopen, but also either
>> bdrv_reopen_commit/abort (for the top-level caller we can have a wrapper
>> function that does both, but that's syntactic sugar).
>>
>> For example we would have:
>>
>> int vmdk_reopen()
>
> .bdrv_reopen() is a confusing name for this operation because it does
> not reopen anything.  bdrv_prepare_reopen() might be clearer.

Makes sense.

>> {
>>    *((VMDKReopenState**) rs) = malloc();
>>
>>    foreach (extent in s->extents) {
>>        ret = bdrv_reopen(extent->file, &extent->reopen_state)
>>        if (ret < 0)
>>            goto fail;
>>    }
>>    return 0;
>>
>> fail:
>>    foreach (extent in rs->already_reopened) {
>>        bdrv_reopen_abort(extent->reopen_state);
>>    }
>>    return ret;
>> }
>
>> void vmdk_reopen_commit()
>> {
>>    foreach (extent in s->extents) {
>>        bdrv_reopen_commit(extent->reopen_state);
>>    }
>>    free(rs);
>> }
>>
>> void vmdk_reopen_abort()
>> {
>>    foreach (extent in s->extents) {
>>        bdrv_reopen_abort(extent->reopen_state);
>>    }
>>    free(rs);
>> }
>
> Does the caller invoke bdrv_close(bs) after bdrv_prepare_reopen(bs,
> &rs)?

No. Closing the old backend would be part of bdrv_reopen_commit.

Do you have a use case where it would be helpful if the caller invoked
bdrv_close?

> There is more state than just the file descriptors and I'm not
> sure that that gets preserved unless we add code to stash away stuff.
> I'm basically hoping this interface does not require touching every
> BlockDriver.

If we only want to change flags like O_DIRECT or O_SYNC, I think format
drivers (except VMDK) can use a standard implementation that just
reopens bs->file.

If we wanted bdrv_reopen to ensure that all caches are dropped etc. then
I think we need a specific implementation in all drivers unless
bdrv->bdrv_open/bdrv_close is good enough to emulate it.

Kevin