qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] postcopy livemigration proposal

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] postcopy livemigration proposal
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 10:52:04 -0500

On 08/08/2011 11:52 AM, Cleber Rosa wrote:
On 08/08/2011 07:47 AM, Dor Laor wrote:
On 08/08/2011 01:59 PM, Nadav Har'El wrote:
* What's is postcopy livemigration
It is is yet another live migration mechanism for Qemu/KVM, which
implements the migration technique known as "postcopy" or "lazy"
migration. Just after the "migrate" command is invoked, the execution
host of a VM is instantaneously switched to a destination host.

Sounds like a cool idea.

The benefit is, total migration time is shorter because it transfer
a page only once. On the other hand precopy may repeat sending same
pages
again and again because they can be dirtied.
The switching time from the source to the destination is several
hunderds mili seconds so that it enables quick load balancing.
For details, please refer to the papers.

While these are the obvious benefits, the possible downside (that, as
always, depends on the workload) is the amount of time that the guest
workload runs more slowly than usual, waiting for pages it needs to
continue. There are a whole spectrum between the guest pausing
completely
(which would solve all the problems of migration, but is often
considered
unacceptible) and running at full-speed. Is it acceptable that the guest
runs at 90% speed during the migration? 50%? 10%?
I guess we could have nothing to lose from having both options, and
choosing
the most appropriate technique for each guest!

Not sure if it's possible to have smart heuristics on guest memory page
faults, but maybe a technique that reads ahead more pages if a given
pattern is detected may help to lower the impact.

It's got to be a user choice. Post-copy can mean unbounded downtime for a guest with no way to mitigate it. It's impossible to cancel a post-copy migration.

I actually think the use-cases for post-copy are fairly limited in an enterprise environment.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori