qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu-kvm debugging

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu-kvm debugging
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 13:52:26 +0100

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Gardziejczyk, Kamil
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I`m going to start debug Qemu-Kvm pass-through. The problem is
> qemu-system-x86_64 file (cant debug it). What and where should I change to
> debug pass-through with gdb?

You haven't explained what the problem is.  I'm not sure why you "cant
debug it".  I guess you don't have symbols?

Did you build qemu-kvm from source?  In that case there should be
debug symbols in the x86_64-softmmu/qemu-system-x86_64 binary.  QEMU
only strips the binary during make install, and that can be disabled
by ./configure --disable-strip.

If you are using a distro package, then you might need qemu-kvm-dbg or
similar.  That way gdb can get the symbols.

Stefan