qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] The reason behind block linking constraint?

From: Max Filippov
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] The reason behind block linking constraint?
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 13:31:25 +0400

> Hi, all
>
>  I am trying to figure out why QEMU put some constraints on block
> linking (chaining). Take x86 as an example, there are two places
> put constraints on block linking, gen_goto_tb and cpu_exec.
>
> ----------------- gen_goto_tb (target-i386/translate.c) ---------------
>  /* NOTE: we handle the case where the TB spans two pages here */
>  if ((pc & TARGET_PAGE_MASK) == (tb->pc & TARGET_PAGE_MASK) ||
>      (pc & TARGET_PAGE_MASK) == ((s->pc - 1) & TARGET_PAGE_MASK))  {
>      /* jump to same page: we can use a direct jump */
>      tcg_gen_goto_tb(tb_num);
>      gen_jmp_im(eip);
>      tcg_gen_exit_tb((tcg_target_long)tb + tb_num);
>  } else {
>      /* jump to another page: currently not optimized */
>      gen_jmp_im(eip);
>      gen_eob(s);
>  }
>
> ----------------------- cpu_exec (cpu-exec.c) -------------------------
>  /* see if we can patch the calling TB. When the TB
>     spans two pages, we cannot safely do a direct
>     jump. */
>  if (next_tb != 0 && tb->page_addr[1] == -1) {
>      tb_add_jump((TranslationBlock *)(next_tb & ~3), next_tb & 3, tb);
>  }
>
>  Is it just because we cannot optimize block linking which crosses page
> boundary, or there are some correctness/safety issues should be considered?

If we link a TB with another TB from the different page, then the
second TB may disappear when the memory mapping changes and the
subsequent direct jump from the first TB will crash qemu.

I guess that this usually does not happen in usermode, because the
guest would not modify executable code memory mapping. However I
suppose that this is also possible.

--
Thanks.
-- Max