qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] kvm PCI assignment & VFIO ramblings

From: Roedel, Joerg
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] kvm PCI assignment & VFIO ramblings
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 16:37:12 +0200

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 09:17:41AM -0400, Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 08/22/2011 04:15 PM, Roedel, Joerg wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 09:06:07AM -0400, Avi Kivity wrote:
> > >  On 08/22/2011 03:55 PM, Roedel, Joerg wrote:
> >
> > >  >  Well, I don't think its really meaningless, but we need some way to
> > >  >  communicate the information about device groups to userspace.
> > >
> > >  I mean the contents of the group descriptor.  There are enough 42s in
> > >  the kernel, it's better if we can replace a synthetic number with
> > >  something meaningful.
> >
> > If we only look at PCI than a Segment:Bus:Dev.Fn Number would be
> > sufficient, of course. But the idea was to make it generic enough so
> > that it works with !PCI too.
> >

> We could make it an arch defined string instead of a symlink.  So it
> doesn't return 42, rather something that can be used by the admin to
> figure out what the problem was.

Well, ok, it would certainly differ from the in-kernel representation
then and introduce new architecture dependencies into libvirt. But if
the 'group-string' is more meaningful to users then its certainly good.
Suggestions?

        Joerg

--
AMD Operating System Research Center

Advanced Micro Devices GmbH Einsteinring 24 85609 Dornach
General Managers: Alberto Bozzo, Andrew Bowd
Registration: Dornach, Landkr. Muenchen; Registerger. Muenchen, HRB Nr. 43632