qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Grand Unified Tracing

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Grand Unified Tracing
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 14:34:27 +0000

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 5:35 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 9:59 PM, Blue Swirl <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Dhaval showed me a demo of unified host/guest Linux tracing last week.
>>>  He is doing something similar except using a hypercall to pass a
>>> string to the host kernel.  In his case kvm.ko handles the hypercall
>>> and qemu is not involved.
>>
>> So the events flow directly from guest kernel to host kernel?
>
> Yes.

How is that used then, with dmesg?

>>> One issue with QEMU tracing is that trace call sites are static.  You
>>> need to compile in a trace_*() call, which means that there are two
>>> choices for how to tunnel OpenBIOS trace events:
>>>
>>> 1. Define a tunnel trace event:
>>> openbios_event(uint64_t event_id, uint64_t arg1, uint64_t arg2, ...)
>>>
>>> QEMU only has one trace event to tunnel OpenBIOS trace events.  Then
>>> the host is unable to pretty-print OpenBIOS traces automatically and
>>> the max arguments becomes 6 - 1 (for the openbios_event tunnel event
>>> id).
>>>
>>> 2. Generate a switch statement to demultiplex trace events:
>>> void hypercall(uint64_t event_id, uint64_t arg1, ...)
>>> {
>>>    /* This is auto-generated by tracetool */
>>>    switch (event_id) {
>>>    case TRACE_EVENT_OPENBIOS_FOO:
>>>        trace_openbios_foo(arg1, arg2, arg3);
>>>        break;
>>>    case TRACE_EVENT_OPENBIOS_BAR:
>>>        trace_openbios_bar(arg1);
>>>        break;
>>>    }
>>> }
>>>
>>> With this approach the user can toggle trace events at runtime and it
>>> works out much nicer.
>>
>> Maybe I'm missing something, but why would we have to multiplex
>> anything? Since the trace IDs are 64 bits, we can easily allocate a
>> static range (starting from 0x8000000000000000) to non-native events
>> so that QEMU IDs and OpenBIOS IDs do not overlap. QEMU would add this
>> offset to IDs coming from fw_cfg. Then QEMU would just pass the data
>> (8*64 bit words) to tracing back end. There obviously something needs
>> to be changed so that OpenBIOS messages can be generated. For
>> simpletrace this should be easy, for stderr and other back ends that
>> may be more complicated.
>
> I meant that the interface generated by tracetool is a header file
> with trace_*() functions.  If you want to support any tracing backend
> then you need to use this interface and cannot call simpletrace.c
> trace0(), trace1(), ... directly.
>
> Are you thinking of only supporting the simple trace backend?

That would be simplest, then fw_cfg.c (or some intermediate entity)
could just call trace6().

But stderr would be useful too. I think that could be done by adding
code to read trace-events file to grab the format string. Then a
modified vfprintf would parse it but instead of va_arg(args, type) it
would just grab the uint64_t arg. Your approach would be much simpler.