qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL] slirp: Fix issues with -mms-bitfields

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL] slirp: Fix issues with -mms-bitfields
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 16:02:40 +0300

On 08/25/2011 03:38 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:

>>  What a mess. Do we really have to go through all 257 packed data structs
>>  in QEMU and add these MS compat bits to all potentially affected ones?
>  I prefer to detect -mms-bitfields and remove it in configure.

Can use -mno-ms-bitfields later to override it.

/me too - if that is possible, ie. if the glib bits we are using doesn't
require us to apply that mode. Can anyone comment on this?

I'd shy away from that.  Even if it works now it may break later.

We should simply avoid bitfields on externally-defined formats; meanwhile we can use __attribute__((gcc_struct)) and keep using those we have already.

signature is too narrow to contain.