qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Questions regarding ivshmem spec

From: Sasha Levin
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Questions regarding ivshmem spec
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 16:29:14 +0300

Hello,

I am looking to implement an ivshmem device for KVM tools, the purpose
is to provide same functionality as QEMU and interoperability with QEMU.

Going through the spec (I found here:
https://gitorious.org/nahanni/guest-code/blobs/master/device_spec.txt )
and the code in QEMU I have gathered several questions, I'll be happy
for some help with it.

1. File handles and guest IDs are passed between the server and the
peers using sockets, is the protocol itself documented anywhere? I would
like to be able to work alongside QEMU servers/peers.

2. The spec describes DOORBELL as an array of DWORDs, when one guest
wants to poke a different guest it would write something into the offset
of the other guest in the DOORBELL array.
Looking at the implementation in QEMU, DOORBELL is one DWORD, when
writing to it the upper WORD is the guest id and the lower WORD is the
value.
What am I missing here?

3. There are 3 ways for guests to communicate between each other, and
I'm assuming all guests using the same SHM block must use the same
method. Is it safe to assume we'll always use ioeventfds as in the
implementation now?

Thanks!

--

Sasha.