qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Physical address debugging

From: Zeus Gómez Marmolejo
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Physical address debugging
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 16:21:19 +0200

Hi all,

I just want to do a very simple task. I'm using QEMU for debugging a new OS and I see that there is a memory region that is being updated by an unknown task. I don't know if it's another process or the kernel itself.

So I would like to put a physical memory watchpoint. I don't know how to do that. As the GDB stub is operating using virtual addressing, I cannot place a watchpoint on an address as it's not stopping.

To make it short, I want the equivalent of the Bochs command "watch write addr", which inserts a write watch point at physical address 'addr'. I haven't seen this is possible on the QEMU monitor...

Thank you very much!!

--
Zeus Gómez Marmolejo
Zet - The x86 (IA-32) open implementation